Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 30: A Dream for the Future

This one is not so vague, and I find that this one is actually easier to write.

My dream for the future is quite simple in theory and incredibly difficult in practice. My dream is to be a sheep. That might sound silly, but I find that the parable of the sheep and the goats is a very helpful and instructive story and really gives me something to strive for.

I want to be the person that helps out "the least of my brethren." I want to be the person that gives to those who are less fortunate, who helps someone in need.

I live in fear of being a goat. Not because of my irrational hatred and distrust of actual goats, but because I don't want to be a figurative goat who is told to depart. That thought is truly terrifying to me.

There are a couple of songs that sum up this dream of mine pretty well. First of all is the song "When All is Said and Done" by Geoff Moore and the Distance. It talks about how will he be remembered when he is gone; "Will they say I loved my family? That I was a faithful friend?" The whole song really speaks to me but I really like those two lines. I want to be remembered as a person who loved their family and friends. I want for those in my life to always know how much they mean to me. I hope that my life can be a living testimony to others, that somehow people can see by my actions and how I live my life that I am living for a greater purpose than my own.

There is a song called "Glory to God" and the chorus says, "Take my life and let it be all for You and for Your glory, take my life and let it be Yours." Those are truly words to live by.

I know to some that this may all sound trite or contrived, but it's not. My faith shapes my life. My faith gives me the strength to go on when things are tough. There have been times that I've known that my husband is in an incredibly dangerous situation, and if I didn't have my faith, I have no idea how I would be able to deal with those times. Every single day that he goes to work, I have to rely on my faith. I draw strength from it as well as hope.

It is my greatest hope in life that I can be a sheep, that I can be an example of being saved by grace, and that when people sum up my life when it has ended that they say I was a faithful friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment