Friday, July 23, 2010

An Owie in the Armpit

From Lucie's point of view...

I went to work on Wednesday, which is unusual for me. Even though I don't usually deal with change very well, this was a nice surprise because I got to play with my sister, Josie all day long. Towards the end of the day, my Mom noticed that I had an owie in my "underpit." I could have told her that much earlier if she'd bothered to ask. Anyway, she saw that it was kind of raw and oozy and gross looking. I tried to tell her that I would just keep licking at it, or at least as close to it as I could reach, and it would be fine. She didn't listen.

We drove home, and she refused to let me stick my head out the roof of the car because she said we were going too fast and that it could be dangerous for me, blah blah blah. So I pouted in the backseat and ignored her. Then when we go home, she immediately told my Dad that I had an owie, and he wanted to see it. Then he decided that we had to do something about it. I heard my Mom say something about a bath, which was when I decided that I needed to follow Dad out into the backyard, and quickly! I thought I'd escaped that most terrible of fates when Mom started cleaning the kitchen and scrubbing countertops. Then, when I thought I'd be able to make it through the night without her remembering her awful threat, she turned to me and said those words I dread the most, "Bath time Pup!"

I went and climbed into the tub where Mom began to spray me with the hose, which isn't so bad, and then she put that stinky stuff on me and started scrubbing. Every single time I get myself smelling really pretty, she shoves me in the tub and makes me stinky again! I could tell that she felt bad about this bath though and was being really careful with my owie. She kept apologizing to me, and then she finally let me out of the tub and dried me off with the towel, which I kind of like too.

I thought the worst was over, but then Dad asked her where the medicine was, and he started poking and prodding at my owie and spreading sticky goopy stuff on it and telling me that it was for my own good. But then he said the most wonderful words, he said to Mom, "I guess you'd better take her to the doctor tomorrow." At this point, I was beside myself I was so happy! But I had to play it cool because I was still really ticked off at my parents for the bath and the medicine.

Mom went to bed that night, and tried to coax me up to their room with her. I ignored her for awhile and then decided that I'd go lay on my bed with my back to her, letting her know exactly what I thought of her. Apparently my silent treatment worked because she felt really bad and told me I could get up on the bed with her. At this point I had to decide which I wanted more, to punish Mom, or to sleep on their comfy bed. So I compromised, I got up on their bed, and turned my back to her and slept down by her feet ignoring her.

Yesterday when we got up, Mom immediately started poking and prodding at my owie again, and determined that while it looked better, I should probably still see my doctor. I was still mad at her from the night before so I just played it cool. She called and made an appointment and when she hung up she told me that Dr. Erickson was available to see me that afternoon. I love Dr. Erickson. He's my favorite person at the Dr's office. I decided that since she was willing to take me in for a date appointment with Dr. Erickson, I'd better start being nice to her again.

Time passed pretty slowly until she finally said we could go. I jumped in the car and we were on our way. When we pulled into the parking lot, I could barely contain my excitement. She clipped my leash on me and we went inside. I politely jumped up and put my paws on the counter to let the nice girl behind the desk know I was there. Then I started tugging on Mom's hand trying to take her to the backroom, that's where all the fun stuff happens. The girl behind the desk said we could go to the exam room. I tried to take Mom past that boring little room and back to where I knew that Dr. Erickson hangs out, but she wouldn't let me.

Instead I was trapped in a little room with only my boring old Mom. I could hear someone in the back, who I didn't know, but I'm sure we'd be best friends, and he was barking and howling, and I kept trying to tell Mom that I should go back there and hang out, but she told me to hush up and lie down. Finally the moment I'd been waiting for came, and Dr. Erickson came in. I was so excited, I ran over to greet him and he gave me a cookie, and all was right with the world. And then he wanted to look at the owie in my armpit. I was a little sad that he didn't just want to visit. He started poking and prodding at my owie, and then he found another owie that I'd managed to keep hidden from Mom and Dad, and when he poked that one, I'd had enough! I jumped up, grabbed Mom's hand and took her to the door. Unfortunately she didn't think that it was time to go yet and wanted to hear more of what Dr. Erickson was saying.

Then he started to move towards the door of the backroom, where all the fun stuff happens, so I let go of Mom and rushed back to him. He tried to tell me that I didn't really need to go to the backroom, but I stared him down, and he agreed that I could at least go back and get a cookie with him. He took me to the magical backroom of wonders where I rushed around greeting all my old friends, even the ones I'd never met before. Then he made me go back to my stupid old Mom. We waited in that little room for another few minutes, which felt like hours to me, and then he came back and brought my medicines. I wasn't excited about having to take more pills, since Mom opens my mouth and crams them down my throat, but then Dr. Erickson said I could have my pills in toasted marshmallows, which happen to be one of my very favorite things in the world!

So all in all, it was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment