Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 25: My Day (In Great Detail.)

Whoa Nelly, whoever came up with this list obviously didn't know me at all. When do I not go into detail about things?

Luckily for anyone who might be reading this, today I have not done much, so I can describe my day in great detail and still keep it down to a manageable 3 or 4 chapters.

Let's see, I woke up at 2:41 am on my clock, which meant that it was actually 2:17 am because my alarm clock is 24 minutes fast. I'm not sure why it is 24 minutes fast, it started at 20 minutes, but has been creeping up there by inadvertently hitting the minute button every once and awhile. Anyway, I woke up at 2:41 am because I was coughing. I got up and took about a half dose of my magical cough potion. I went back to bed, and was asleep again soon. I woke up again at about 7:30 (I'm not sure if this was the real 7:30 or my clock's 7:30.) I dozed off and on until 8:55 at which point I leaped out of bed because I needed to be on my way to the doctor's office at 9:00. I ran into the bathroom and brushed my teeth, and put my contacts in. After 22+ years of wearing contacts I actually had a new contact related experience this morning... I would highly recommend that any contact wearer who goes to put their contacts in right after brushing their teeth would make VERY sure that there is no toothpaste left on their finger. Life lesson learned - toothpaste on a contact inserted into your eye will burn like a mother...

I brushed my hair, put on my sweats, convinced Lucie to stay on the bed and sleep instead of wanting to get up, and then ran out the door. I drove to my doctor's office as rapidly as I dared since my appointment was at 9:30 and arrived at the office at 9:32. While I checked in and scheduled my follow-up appointment as well as my yearly check-up, I chatted with one of my old sergeants from Blaine PD who happened to be in the office at the same time. I then went back into the exam room where I was told to lie down on the table face up, and I proceeded to have a Carotid Artery Ultra-sound. It was kind of a weird experience. The one time I looked at the screen I saw a big red section. That freaked me out because when is red ever good, right? He finished my exam, and I got up and left the office, and drove home. As I left the office I texted my good friend Heidi who is a vascular ultrasound technician and told her about my appointment and that I saw red, and said, "That can't be good, right?" I drove home, and as I drove across the very windy county I was startled by an immature bald eagle soaring up past my car. It was cool. As I approached Van Buren Rd on East Badger, two things happened at once. I was listening to the radio and "Mine" by Taylor Swift was just ending, and as the song ended, my phone began ringing, and the ringtone was "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. I thought that was bizarre timing. The second thing that happened was that for only the second time since I have lived in our house, I had to stop at that train crossing right before Van Buren. The "train" was an engine and one car, and even though I had plenty of time and room to clear the crossing before it got there, I just couldn't do it. So I waited. Back to the phone call, it was Matt calling to say that he needed to leave in a few moments. I replied, "I'm aware of that." As soon as the train cleared, I continued on my way home arriving there just a few moments later.

At home, I picked up Matt and my knitting and we headed off to his dentist appointment. We arrived there, and I received a text from Heidi telling me that red is bloodflow, so that is a good sign in the carotid artery. I immediately started feeling better and stopped worrying that I had a super blocked artery and was going to have to have surgery. I sat in the waiting room with Matt flipping through the same People magazine I read last time we were there. Then my eyes fell upon the newest one with Charlie Sheen on the cover with the question "What went wrong?" I decided that I would read through that and see if they were able to answer that question. They weren't.

I spent a little over 2 hours sitting in the waiting room, reading People, discussing pets with the receptionist/office worker lady who was working there today. I don't know her name, she's the only one I don't know. I showed her pictures of Lucie on my phone, and we discussed our past and present pets, their tricks and behaviors, and also pet deaths. I worked on my knitting a little bit. I also learned that you really know you're sick when knitting feels like a strenuous activity. Just as I was getting really really hungry and was about to go off in search of food, they said Matt was done. So I packed him into the car and took him home. We got home and I helped Matt upstairs and then as he got into bed, I went back downstairs and got him some juice. Lucie and I went back upstairs and I gave him his juice and she jumped up on the bed and prepared to settle down next to him.

I went back downstairs and made myself a quesadilla with cheese, rice, and packets of Jack in the Box Hot Taco Sauce. It was ok, not as great as I'd hoped, but I was hungry and exhausted and it took very little effort. I checked emails, played my Scrabble turns on Facebook, and then decided I was too tired to stay up any longer, so I tucked myself into the guest room again with Season 2 of Bones. Lucie was torn at this point, she didn't know which sick parent to attend to. So she jumped off our bed and came in and joined me in the guest room. I drank some juice and watched Bones for a little while, and then I kind of napped. Mostly I just listened to Bones and rested. Lucie went back and forth a couple of times.

I got up about 4:45 and went back downstairs for some more juice. I had to make another pitcher of my favorite Crystal Lite Cherry Pomegranate juice. At this point, I couldn't handle the dirty dishes in the kitchen, so I cleaned my kitchen, got my juice, and headed upstairs again with juice in one hand and cuticle remover in the other. Matt greeted me at the top of the stairs and asked for some soup. So I went back downstairs and made his soup, and while it was cooking I decided to do the cuticle remover stuff. I finished making his soup, and dished some up in a bowl, grabbed my juice and some saltines for Matt. I delivered his soup to him, and came back into the guest room and watched more Bones, and then turned the computer back on, played a turn in Scrabble, and then wrote out my incredibly boring day. Oh, and I drank some more juice while I typed this.

I'm sorry that I didn't have a more interesting day to tell you about, but just think how long we'd be here if I had???

No comments:

Post a Comment