Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 6: 20 of My Favorite Things

Oh goodness, this could take awhile... I can immediately rule out raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. I am quite fond of bright copper kettles, but I do not own one, nor do I own any warm woolen mittens. I guess I'll just have to come up with my own favorite things, and not rely on the wisdom of Julie Andrews.

Get comfy, because you know I can't just rattle off a list without explanation, so you're probably going to be here for awhile.

I think that my list will probably seem somewhat cliche and superficial, but what can I say? I'm not a very deep person sometimes.

1. Even though it is a total Sunday School answer, Jesus is definitely at the top of my list. His ultimate sacrifice to save my unworthy life is something I am so completely grateful for and still cannot fully comprehend it.

2. Big mugs containing hot beverages... I like coffee cups. I collect them. And, not to sound too much like Sir Mix-A-Lot, I like 'em big and round! I was for the first 30 years or so of my life primarily a tea drinker, but have recently switched to be more of a coffee drinker. Either way, I want the cup that my hot beverage is in to be big, and fun, and have some special meaning to me.

3. My bed... I think that my bed is my favorite place on earth. (With Disneyland and Disney World tying for second place.) From the time I get up in the morning, I think ahead longingly to the time when I can crawl back into my bed at night. And it's not because I don't get enough sleep and I'm overly exhausted, I just love my bed. And on new-sheet day??? Oh don't even get me started about how much I love my bed on new-sheet day!!

4. Knitting... I love to knit. Admittedly, I'm not great at it. I can follow simple patterns, and muddle through. I can make a pretty decent hat, and an acceptable baby blanket. That's about it. I can whip out scarves, and other flat objects. I'm tempted to tackle a sweater, but haven't worked up the courage yet.

5. My cell phone... Ever since I got my first cell phone, which totally made me feel like a grown-up (even though I think I was 23 or 24 and should have already felt that way), I have loved having a cell phone, and it's gotten to the point where I feel almost naked if I leave the house without it.

6. Getting mail address to Mr. & Mrs. Munden... Almost 7 years later, the thrill of seeing that hasn't worn off. I love rsvp-ing to weddings on the card where I get to write Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Munden. However, when someone actually calls me Mrs. Munden, I get totally weirded out.

7. Spending time with my friends... I'm a fairly social person, and I love to spend time with friends. I think it's my need to entertain that fuels this, but I like to be around people, and I like to make people laugh and feel welcome.

8. Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner... Yes, you read that right. Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday growing up, and even though it has changed now, it's still my favorite day of the year. And I love cooking that meal. I get up and cook all morning, and then I get the kitchen all cleaned up and have everything done hours ahead of time so that I can just relax and enjoy time with my family. Of course, if you've ever been to my house during any sort of function I'm hosting, you know that I never really relax, or sit still, until after the meal is over. But it's a good plan in theory, even if I can't put it into practice.

9. Going to the range with my husband... Now this is a funny one to make it onto my favorites list, especially given how stressed out I was about my first trip there with him, but I've really come to enjoy this time together. It's one more example of him showing me how much he loves me by making sure that I am safe, and that I know how to protect myself if I ever need to.

10. Reading... I was a slow learner when it came to reading. It was very hard for me, and I just couldn't pick up on it like other kids (namely my sister) did. I struggled along until halfway through second grade. When my class went to the library, I was stuck looking in the kindergarten section. Then, quite literally overnight, halfway through the school year, it finally clicked for me. We had two library visits per week, and the first visit that week I was still looking at kindergarten books, and on our second trip that week, I was perusing the 3rd and 4th grade section. The librarian was quite perplexed. From that point on though, I was rarely without a book in my hand.

11. Fake fingernails... I had acrylic fingernails for 10 years, and I really enjoyed them. I've never been able to get my own nails to grow, they chip and tear, and snag, and are just not easy to deal with. I'm also quite fond of the super-glue on fingernails that are perfect for a quick little pick me up. When my hands look nice, it makes me feel better about my whole world. Shallow? Oh yes, most definitely... but also cheaper than a psychotherapist!

12. My Remote-start on my car... This is the second car I've had that has remote start on it. And I cannot imagine my life without it now. I love getting into a warm car on cold winter mornings. And I also am quite fond of scaring the buhjeezus out of people walking by my car when it starts up on its own.

13. My tea kettle... It may not be a bright copper one, but it is cobalt blue which has been my favorite color for as long as I can remember. I received my tea kettle as a wedding gift, and it was used very very often. I know it's faster to simply microwave a cup of water, but I like the tradition of putting the kettle on to boil. My husband also uses my kettle a lot during the spring and summer when he's feeding his infernal hummingbirds. One day, while searching for a large sum of cash that he had lost, he put the kettle on to boil, and forgot about it. It boiled itself completely dry and then fused to the burner. I had to replace the burner, and I was devastated by the loss of my kettle. I actually grieved a little. Thankfully I found one that looked like it would be similar, and he ordered it for me. Imagine my joy when it turned out to be a newer version of the same kettle I had just lost.

14. The sound of babies laughter... I think that this is one of my favorite sounds and I just can't help but feel happier when I hear it.

15. Riding horses... even though I don't have my horse anymore (he's out on a care-lease) I love to ride. I started riding when I was 7 years old, and have kept up with it, somewhat regularly since then. Horses are incredibly therapeutic, they are so perceptive of your moods, and they are wonderful listeners.

16. Pizza... Ok this is on here for two reasons. One, I really do love pizza. Especially a really good pepperoni pizza. For a brief time there was a restaurant in Blaine called Mama Jeanina's and they had amazing pepperoni pizza. It was more than 20 years ago, and I still remember it. The other reason pizza is on this list, is simply to amuse my friend Miriam!

17. The Magical World of Walt Disney... As I mentioned earlier, my second favorite place on earth is Disneyland or Disney World. I walk through those gates, and I'm so unbelievably happy. Even my worst day at Disneyland is still a pretty good day. I could go on and on, and on and on and on and on... but I'll just leave it at that. If you wish to see the feature length film of my recent vacation, call me up and you can get a copy of the 89 minute dvd.

18. Music... I can't imagine my life without music. I wish that my life could be a musical. I sing all the time. Even when I don't realize I'm doing it.

19. Telling jokes... I inherit this from my father. I love telling jokes, and sadly most of my jokes are not very appropriate and cannot be told to general audiences. But I am always hearing new jokes and filing them away for just the right moment.

20. My Lucie pup... This falls under the category of last but not least. I love Lucie more than I can really even explain. She fills our home with so much joy and laughter. She is so goofy and clumsy that she unintentionally makes us laugh all the time. And she's just good company. It is so nice to have her around since I am home alone so much of the time. She's an ok snuggler, she's good at it when she wants to be, but she's not much into snuggling. She's an excellent bed-hog, (she gets that from her father!!) and she has become such an important part of our little family. I can't even begin to imagine how awful it will be when she's not around anymore.


And I know that some of you are thinking, "Why isn't her husband on this list?" That's because I don't view him as a "thing." He can't be summed up and filed into a list of favorites. He's far more than that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment