Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 21: A Recipe

I don't fancy myself to be such a fantastic cook that people are wanting my recipes. I actually just looked through my cookbook, the one I've made of recipes I've collected over the years, and nothing really jumps out at me as something that people clamor for.

So I thought back to Grandma Night a month or so ago, and decided that I would share the recipe for my "Chicken Noodle Half-Asserole" that I came up with on the fly that night. It was really easy and took about a half hour to make.

Chicken Noodle Half-Asserole:

1-2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (depending on how much chicken you want in there)
1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
About a half a soup can of milk
1 16 oz package of pasta, pick your shape. I used Penne
Shredded cheese, again pick your variety. I used sharp cheddar.
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Johnny's Seasoning Salt

Ok, so this is an incredibly complex and difficult recipe. Are you ready?

First, put your chicken in a non-stick pan. It doesn't really have to be non-stick, but I don't like fighting with a regular pan. Add a little olive oil, maybe a tablespoon or two. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and maybe a little garlic powder. Cover it and cook for several minutes, turning so it doesn't get too brown, and cook until it's almost cooked through. Remove from pan, and chop it up into cube or bite sized pieces. Return to pan and add a little Johnny's. Cover, and resume cooking until fully cooked through.

While you are doing this, also be cooking your noodles, and preheating your oven to 375.

In a bowl, or your baking dish, or whatever you want to use, mix the can of soup with about a half a can of milk. At this point, if you're not cooking for a super picky diner, add in some frozen veggies too. I care a great deal for peas, but have also been known to throw frozen corn or green beans into my casseroles. Also the "Forrest Gump Mix" as I call it, also known as peas & carrots works great and the carrots are in perfect little pieces.

Ok, here's where it gets really tricky!!! Take the noodles (drain them first or this will be a VERY watery dish) and put them in your baking dish, add the sauce (if it isn't in there already) and chicken, and stir well. Top with shredded cheese (If you don't live with a cheese hater) and bake for 15-20 minutes. Longer if you want, doesn't really matter. You just need to heat the veggies and melt the cheese.

If you want to get really exotic, you can add some breadcrumbs to the top of the cheese. I like Progresso Italian Style breadcrumbs, but they might add a little too much class and bump this firmly into the casserole category and make it forfeit its "Half-asserole" status. It's up to you.

Then, remove the dish from the oven, cover with foil, wrap in a towel, and head off to your gathering, and then delight your friends with your witty "Chicken Noodle Half-Asserole" and feel free to take credit for it. I don't think that Graham Kerr, or Julia Child's estate will be coming after me (or you for that matter) for copyright infringement on this one.

Maybe I should start my own cooking show? Hmmm... In the Trailer Park with Stephanie Munden?

1 comment:

  1. AAAhahahahahahahahaha..I love it! Ill watch your show..that was the best halfasserole ive ever eaten!!!

    ReplyDelete