Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 2: A Favorite Movie

Trying to pick just one favorite movie is like Sophie's Choice. (Which incidentally I've never seen, but just like to use the reference.) I have a number of movies that I can watch again and again, but they are not necessarily my favorite.

So I thought I would just rattle off a list of the ones that are in my top 10. In no particular order, so that no one misconstrues one as the actual favorite, here we go:

Top Gun (Pre-crazy couch jumping Tom Cruise), So I Married an Axe Murderer, Steel Magnolias, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Happiest Millionaire, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (I know this is the movie that broke up Brad & Jennifer, but I still enjoy it immensely), The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, The Cutting Edge, and Young Frankenstein.

A few years ago, we went to the Abbotsford Air Show, upon returning home, we immediately had to watch Top Gun, because all the planes we had seen that day, and the special maneuvers, made us want to watch Top Gun again.

I first watched So I Married An Axe Murderer in my senior year of high school. I realized that this movie was destined for my favorites list quite early on, when Harriet asks Charlie what he looks for in a woman, and he answers, "I know I'm supposed to say sense of humor, but I've really got to go with breast size."

Steel Magnolias is the ultimate chick flick. You laugh, you cry, you feel like you know this tight-knit group of Southern ladies, and it's just an all around great movie.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my favorite old musicals. I love the dancing, and the dresses, and just the whole story, along with the fantastically amazing 1950's special effects.

The Happiest Millionaire is another great old musical. Fred MacMurray is simply divine as Mr. Biddle, and the Irish butler wrestling with the alligators is just hilarious.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith has some of the funniest moments, like Brad Pitt singing along to Air Supply, or the two of them in the matching "We Love Jesus" tracksuits and driving the mini-van... I've watched this one a number of times.

The Muppet Movie is hands down one of the most cleverly written comedies I've ever seen. The running gags throughout that movie were lost on me as a child, but as I watch it now I'm enjoying it even more than I did as a kid. "It's a myth! A myth!!" Lisping woman, "Yeth?"

The Great Muppet Caper is my other favorite muppet movie. Anytime I hear the phrase "Catch him red-handed," I always want to ask, "What color are their hands now?"

The Cutting Edge is another favorite, and I was quoting it just the other day, and much to my delight, my father picked up on the quote immediately. "Legano, mil-legano... is gray area."

And finally, the amazing work of the comedic genius Mel Brooks. I know that most people will always reference Blazing Saddles when attributing genius to Mr. Brooks, and I did enjoy that movie immensely, but Young Frankenstein is my favorite of his movies. So many things that my family says on a regular basis came from that movie, and it always make me sad when I quote it and people don't know what it is. A few of my favorite lines from that movie, "What knockers!!!" "Why thank you, Doctor!", "PUT ZE CANDLE BECK!!!", "OVALTINE!!!", "Would you care to join me for a roll in zee hay?"

I think I may have to call in sick for a couple days and just have a movie marathon now!!

2 comments:

  1. Ive never seen all of seven brides for seven brothers..I may just have to watch that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I remember watching The Cutting Edge with you, I still love that movie as well :)

    ReplyDelete