Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 16: A Song That Makes Me Cry (Or nearly)

There are several songs that impact me greatly, and will bring me to tears. They are all for different reasons, and have different meanings to me.

There are a few different songs that we sing in church that always make me emotional, the promise they contain is overwhelming to me and I just can't hold the tears in. Thankfully it rarely happens that those songs are on the order of service on my weeks to sing up front.

A few weeks ago, however, I saw the order of service and realized that I had to sing "It Is Well (With My Soul)" and I knew I was in for a rough morning. That song has always been immensely comforting to me, so much so that it is the song I chose to have sung at my Grandma's funeral. Since that day I have not been able to hear or sing that song without crying. I almost made it through. My voice cracked a little at the end, and I had some tears, but all in all, a valiant effort.

Another one that always gets me is the song "Goodbye's the Saddest Word" by Celine Dion. Several years ago I was driving home from an auction and I was listening to her "A New Day Has Come" cd, and not really paying attention to the songs. This song came on, and I wasn't really listening to the first verse. Then it came to the chorus, "Goodbye's the saddest word I'll ever hear, goodbye's the last time I will hold you near. Someday you'll say this word and I will cry, it will break my heart to hear you say goodbye." I just assumed it was another sappy love song, talking about a breakup. Then I actually listened to the next verse and I realized that it was written from a daughter to her mother. At this point I backed it up and started over again. By the end of the song I was crying so hard that I had to change my plans and go straight home because I was such a mess.

That one made me think about the fact that someday I'm going to have to say goodbye to my Mom, and that was a thought I was not ready to face.

And the last song that makes me cry is called "Amy's Song" by a local artist named David Harsh. This song was written for his sister who passed away when they were both young. And I first heard this song in the months after Brittney Armstrong was killed in that accident. The words of this song really sum up the feelings of having lost someone, and the emotions you go through, and the main questions that you have.

Here's a link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpm6p2tLZkA

Amy's Song:
The day you slipped away, was the day my pain arrived,
and I've wondered how my life would be, if you were still alive.
There's an emptiness within me that is crying out your name,
And no matter what I ever do, I'll never be the same.

And all I want to know, is are you happy now?
Are you in the arms of Jesus? Can you see my life somehow?
As I stand here making wishes, that time will not allow,
please tell me are you happy now?

I think about the memories, and the time I had with you
And I laugh about the games we played and the things we used to do
There is so much left to tell you that I never got to say,
And there are words I wish I'd never said, that I cannot take away.

And all I want to know, is are you happy now?
Are you in the arms of Jesus? Can you see my life somehow?
As I stand here making wishes, that time will not allow,
please tell me are you happy now?

And I can't wait, until I can see your face again
In the house of our Father, where the joy will never end
And I can't wait, to hold you close to me
And tell you that I love you
We'll be together in eternity

So as I walk along without you, in the years that still remain
I will think about you often, and smile through the pain
'Cause there's a part of me that's missing, when you left it went away
But a part of you remains in me and I know that it will stay.

And all I want to know, is are you happy now?
Are you in the arms of Jesus? Can you see my life somehow?
As I stand here making wishes, that time will not allow,
Please tell me are you happy, tell me are you happy?
Please tell me, are you happy now?

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya in the worship song department. You had me crying by the end of the blog..that last song i very sad. <3 ya

    ReplyDelete